Friday, December 28, 2012

The Good Stuff

I thought today I should focus on a major aspect of having bariatric surgery, which is the resulting health benefits of the weight loss. For some, this is the primary reason for having the surgery. For me, it's an added benefit (my primary reason for having the surgery is to look better and feel better about myself).

So here are some statistics on improved health after weight loss from gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy:

                                                     Sleeve                                                 Bypass

Type 2 diabetes                   56% resolved, 37% improved         84% resolved, 91% resolved or improved

High Blood Pressure           49% resolved                                   67.5% resolved

High Cholesterol                 43% resolved                                   94.9% improved

Sleep Apnea                       60% resolved                                   86.6% resolved


It is interesting to note that they took me off of my cholesterol medication as soon as I had the surgery. They will monitor my blood pressure and hopefully I will be off of that medication soon too.

Perhaps the biggest health benefit that I look forward to is the ability to be more active. Carrying excess weight starts a vicious cycle in which it is harder to exercise, so you gain more weight, so it is harder to exercise... and so on.

I view this surgery as a means for me to accomplish weight loss that I have not been able to achieve on my own, and as a jump start to a new and improved lifestyle! Perhaps the biggest battle ahead is the one in my miind... figuring out the psychological aspects that led me to where I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment